A small game made during the Discord LibGDX jam 2 31th March - 1st April 2018.
Game jam rules was to use LibGDX to create a game or whatever over the weekend (48 hours).
Game jam theme was “Rainy Day”.
- LibGDX platformer game
- Random Tiled Map sequence at each new game
- Shader based GFX
Ghosts of the rain is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Playthrough by Raeleus
Gameplay and theme
The idea was to alternate sun time and rain time and try to implement a game mechanic based on it.
The gameplay loop is the following :
- after the rain, some mushrooms grow and can be picked up to restore player life.
- when it’s rainning again, remaining mushrooms are transformed into ghosts moving toward player to hurt him.
- when rain stops, monsters disepear and new mushrooms appear.
Rain hurts as well. So player have to deal with :
- find a shelter to not be hurted by the rain.
- flee from monsters.
During sun time, player have to pickup as many mushrooms as he can to restore his life and limit futur monsters.
Where did i lost time ?
As usual, i lost lot of time with tiled map collisions :
- computing player bounds to tiles.
- allow or not some player moves (climp ladders, move to the left or to the right)
I really need to create some utility classes for future games or game jams including basic collisions, ray casting, moving shapes clipping and so on.
What could be reused ?
The most interesting part of code i could reuse and improve is the TiledMapStream.
It’s been a long time i wanted to implements a kind of dynamic tiled map where some parts are streamed dynamically : there is plenty of games implementing it.
This first implementation works well for this game but is could be improved in several ways for other games :
- backward streaming.
- support other layer types (objects, images, etc).
- both horizontal and vertical streaming.
- improve performances with 4 maps to avoid full recopy.
What was fun to do ?
Once tiled map streams in place, it was straightforward to add new level parts especially funny ones :
- one of a level part is a tiled map whith words : “LIB GDX JAM !”
- the menu screen is a tiled map whith words : “GHOSTS OF THE RAIN”
Some features i’m thinking of (post gamejam) :
- Music and SFX.
- Dynamic map sequence at runtime either randomly or based on player skill.
- More maps.
- More decorative tiles.
- Better backgrounds.
- Distance counter with a score screen.
Thanks for reading !