GameTools is a set of ruby libraries to help in games developpement process.
Software developpement has already a lot of good build tools such as Gradle, Maven, Ant and game tools purpose is not to offer a new build tools at all.
Game developpement differ from generic software developpement for two reasons :
- Games is made of a lot of assets (graphics, 3D models, logic maps, sounds)
- Game team is generally splited : programmers and designers
- Game require hard optimizations (specially on the assets)
The goal of this tool chain is to provide the same features as generic build tools for game assets, that is :
- Build process automation
- Conversion / Export tools
- Code Integration
Game Tools focus on opensource integration and support already a lot of components :
- opensource softwares : Blender, Tiled, Freemind, Inkscape and Gimp.
- opensource framework : Lib GDX including Box2D
Game tools includes custom tools :
- RMake : the main toolchain automation process.
Source repository will be avialable soon.